The best snacks for a hike are those that a) don’t require refrigeration, b) are mess-free, and c) are packed full of protein and fiber for sustained energy. This simple, nutrient-dense trail mix hits all three marks and for bonus points, it’s so easy to throw together and customize to your liking.
Here’s what I use and the nutrient breakdown:
- Cashews – an excellent source of magnesium, the super mineral that is responsible for over 350 enzymatic reactions in the body.
- Walnuts – a powerful antioxidant, high in Omega-3’s, as well a good source of Magnesium and Vitamin E
- Pumpkin seeds – provide ample thyroid support as they are high in iron and zinc
- Brazil nuts – just 3-4 brazil nuts fulfill your recommended daily intake of selenium
- Dried unsweetened craisins
- Sea salt
½ cup cashews
½ cup walnuts
¼ cup brazil nuts
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
2 TBSP dried unsweetened craisins
A few twists of Himalayan sea salt
- Add all ingredients to an air-tight container and enjoy!